Northwest Treasure Hunters Club

How to Retrieve Targets - From Ohio Metal Detecting Site

Offline Sweeper

• Sweeper
    • Northwest treasure Hunters Club
How to Retrieve Targets - From Ohio Metal Detecting Site
« on: March 27, 2016, 11:18:39 AM »
Ohio Metal Detecting Site
One of the most extensive tutorials on retrieving targets and proper digging techniques  I have found. How to use the probe and screw driver,pin-pointer method and using your search coil. Very nice how-to's and ideas with diagrams pictures and videos.
http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/how-to.html
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:34:36 AM by Sweeper »
 Sweeper
Sweeping for treasure with my Garrett Gold stinger, GPX Stryker mx 400, Bounty Hunter, Deteknix Xpointer.

Online Packrat

• Detecting since 1971 Club member since 1973
Re: How to Retrieve Targets - From Ohio Metal Detecting Site
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 08:35:55 PM »
Just a reminder no digging tool larger than 3/8th inch in diameter allowed in Spokane city parks and no plugs allowed  You should not even carry a knife or larger digging tool in the city parks as it looks like you might be using them  We have lost enough areas already  Been detecting for over 40 years and all I ever used is a screwdriver  Pinpointing and proper recovery are signs of a true top coin hunter
If you have questions about the club ask me and I will get you the answers

Offline Sweeper

• Sweeper
    • Northwest treasure Hunters Club
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 10:00:52 PM »
Just a reminder no digging tool larger than 3/8th inch in diameter allowed in Spokane city parks and no plugs allowed  You should not even carry a knife or larger digging tool in the city parks as it looks like you might be using them  We have lost enough areas already  Been detecting for over 40 years and all I ever used is a screwdriver  Pinpointing and proper recovery are signs of a true top coin hunter

Great information Packrat, and yes, we have to disturb as little as possible (probe, pinpointer and large 3/8th screwdriver is the best advice) so we can continue to hunt in these areas, we need to respect our parks and the sites we are allowed to dig in now, or they will all disappear for us to enjoy forever. It takes just a little skill to use these tools but it actually is fun to use them and more fun to master them (I'm still learning and admire Packrats experience).

Most targets are pretty close to the surface so it isn't very hard to pop coins this way, even for a beginner, it just takes some practice like anything else.

Now if we could school some non club members (Weekend warriors) that show up at the parks and leave holes large enough to make woodchucks blush, to use the right tools and stop giving us a bad name, we would be ahead.

I think it would be fun if some of us could meet at a park somewhere and practice the techniques together sometime to sharpen up or to start learning these skills.
 Sweeper
Sweeping for treasure with my Garrett Gold stinger, GPX Stryker mx 400, Bounty Hunter, Deteknix Xpointer.

Offline silly

• Detecting since 1991
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »
Yes it would be great if everyone used the proper retrieval methods.  I have been to some places after others have detected and left holes and/or plugs.  I would just leave because I did not want people to think that I made those holes.  Of course, so far, my timing has not been so that I could see these people and talk to them.  If anyone does see this kind of improper methods, please kindly inform them of the correct way to retrieve coins.  Thanks!

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »

I think it would be fun if some of us could meet at a park somewhere and practice the techniques together sometime to sharpen up or to start learning these skills.
[/quote]

IF you ever get that set up,let me know maybe I can make it from the west side 

Online Packrat

• Detecting since 1971 Club member since 1973
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 07:15:46 PM »
I try to do a demo once a year at a park in Spokane. If you are on this side of the state let me know
If you have questions about the club ask me and I will get you the answers