Northwest Treasure Hunters Club

2017 Elberton outing

2017 Elberton outing
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
Mark your calendar April 29th for the 2017 Elberton outing.  For those who want meet at the Harvest House restaurant in Spangle at 8am for breakfast.  They're expecting 15 to 20 of us.  Food is great there.  We'll leave the restaurant about 9ish and head on down to Elberton.  At Elberton we'll meet up with the tri cities club. The hunt will start about 10ish.  I have foreign coins to plant that will get you silver coins.  One catch, you can only exchange one foreign coin at a time for silver, then you can go back out and hunt for more.  We did this last year and I received many favorable comments about doing it this way.  The planted coins will not be buried, just dropped or tossed on the ground in the grass and weeds.  You will watch me plant them so you will know the complete area planted.  The hunt will end when all silver is gone or noon, whichever comes first.  You must be a member to hunt because our club provides $100 value of silver and the other club brings a similar amount.
Bring a lunch to eat after the hunt.  After the lunch you are free to detect anywhere in the park except near the two or three homes that are still there and in use.  Elberton is a Whitman county park and we have permission to detect there.  Rules are the same as Spokane city or county parks, use only a 3/8 screwdriver 6 inches long and fill all your holes.  If you dig junk, pack it out.  Most of the park is not really maintained so use good judgement when detecting and be safe.
I'll have a binder with me at breakfast and at the hunt about Elberton.  Look up Elberton ghost town on the internet.  You'll really enjoy the history and love being there.  Maybe even find old silver or even a gold coin.  The story is that a farmer took his mules out to plow one day and had a $20 gold coin in his pocket.  When he got home, no gold coin.  Of course the teller of the story had no idea which field or even how far away from town.  Had a big smile on is face while he told the story too.
Can't promise outhouses will be there and usable but they were last year and our hunt was a month earlier then.

Hope to see you there!
Paul

Re: 2017 Elberton outing
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
This outing sounds interesting, but does anybody really find anything exciting?  I haven't heard of anybody finding much and it sounds like it is very hard hunting!!!

Online Packrat

• Detecting since 1971 Club member since 1973
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »
In the past I found a couple coins from 1890's and early 1900   Many people found similar coins not a lot but some. How did they do this year
If you have questions about the club ask me and I will get you the answers

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 07:29:08 PM »
I went to the elberton hunt. had a great time.had breakfast at the harvester.with some other member of the club and got to talk awile with the other members.which was great also there was a notebook there that had a great deal of info on elberton .who ever put that together did a great job.  we had great weather that day and it was a very nice drive.enjoyed the hunt alot got some silver.after the hunt we all got time to hunt the town anywhere we wanted .that alone was pretty cool.lots of metal in the ground but i did not find any coins .took a lunch break with some other members at some old picnic tables that were next to the church.after lunch went bach to hunting somemore and just enjoying the experience.with other club members.   all in all a really enjoyable event......just my humble comment........

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
I didn't find any coins but I did find an old children's toy gun that won 1st place in the toy category at the May meeting...when I go back I plan on finding that $20 gold coin.

Users Online Users Online (23)
Members Packrat
Members roustabout
Members Google
Members Baidu (7)